Wednesday, December 8, 2010

BOC Week 10: Getting Fired

It all started with a song on the radio. I don’t even remember which one it was, but I do know it was on a radio station that had been approved to listen to in the bar. It was a busy Friday morning and I was alone at the bar. I was helping my customers and they were all happy and having fun. Then the manager came in and immediately said she didn’t like the song that was on the radio and could I please change it. I said no problem and proceeded to change the station. That was all that happened. The next day as I was preparing to leave and the other bartender was getting ready to come on, she pulled out a piece of paper and said I needed to sign it. I read it and couldn’t believe what she was telling me to sign. She said that I was being written up for having an inappropriate song on in the bar. I explained what had happened and that it was on a radio station that had been approved by management. She said she didn’t know what to tell me and that I had to sign it. I did but I told her I didn’t agree with the reason I was being written up. The next day, Sunday, I came in expecting to see the schedule up for the next week. We waited all day and they never released it. I asked my manager before I left if I was working the next day or not. He said I was off but he needed to see me at noon. I knew then that I was going to be fired. I just had a feeling. It had been exactly 3 months to the day that I was hired and from everything I had heard about the company, 3 months is the general time limit on that job. I still don’t understand the reasoning behind firing everyone after 3 months and having to train all new people. I had never had a complaint or been written up before this time. I never called in sick and was only a little late once. I never even requested time off and my customers loved me and gushed about me to the managers all the time. This was the most ridiculous company I have ever worked for in terms of management. I felt confused and angry and hurt because I had been working to the best of my ability. I was never rewarded and there was no feedback except bad feedback ever offered. I learned from this experience that sometimes it doesn’t matter how good of an employee you are if your managers are psycho.

No comments:

Post a Comment