Wednesday, December 1, 2010

EOC Week 9: Personal Freedom vs Union Membership

What would you do if you wanted to work for a company and you had to join the union to get the job? It would really depend on the job, what the pay was, what the benefits of joining that particular union were, how much the dues were, and what the policy on being laid off were. If it was anything like the carpenter’s union here in Las Vegas, I would join. Based on what I know about that particular union, it doesn’t seem like such a bad thing. When someone is out of work or laid off, which happens often lately, they still continue to get a paycheck for the maximum allowable amount from unemployment. They don’t even have to file for it as the union takes care of all of that for them. They also let the person know when there is work again, and if you remain in good standing with the union and the companies that hire the union members, you can get work again fairly quickly.

What if they called a strike over an issue you did not agree with? I feel like if I chose to join the union and take the benefits of doing so, then I must expect that this could happen and accept the consequences. I would go on strike with the union. Often times the company will end up firing workers that don’t stay with the union and if they don’t fire you, it’s definitely more uncomfortable in the work place when the strike is over.

What other issues might concern you if you HAD to belong to get a paycheck? I don’t really see it as a problem because it’s so normal in Las Vegas to belong to a union. In fact I would love to belong to a union and make $17 an hour to be a bartender. That’s 5 times more than I would make in a non union position of the same kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment